Thanks everyone for some interesting correspondence about this specimen. I had contacted Nigel to ask if the microfossil data was foraminifera, ostracods or palynology. He suggested forams and ostracods had been looked for.

If some dinoflagellates could be found then we could provide answers for some of these questions. Nigel, would you be able to provide us with some fine grained matrix for us to analyse? From the picture it looks quite coarse grained with some finer parts. You’d need to get fine grained material if there is any.

All the best,

Giles

Sent: 29 June 2017 08:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ichthyosaur with dubious provenance but distinctive preservation [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Nigel,

I’ve got our palaeontologist Natalie to have a look at the photos… here is her two cents worth.

The preservation does look a lot like some of the ichthyosaur/plesiosaur/turtle material from around Boulia (SW Queensland), which would make it early Cretaceous (Albian, ~100 mya.) If so, how it found its way to Carlisle would be another mystery, but - stranger things have happened!

If the matrix is limestone (which it probably would be, if it's from Queensland), it etches nicely in dilute acetic acid, with beautiful, 3D results. I've prepared quite a bit of this stuff, so am happy to provide any tips/techniques, if it is in limestone, and if the interest and resources are there.

There's only one ichthyosaur from the Cretaceous of Australia, it's Platypterigius australis, but whether the specimen can be shown to be this critter is uncertain. I'm not sure there's anything diagnostic amongst the bones, but this ref:

KEAR, B.P., 2016. Cretaceous marine amniotes of Australia: perspectives on a decade of new research. Memoirs of Museum Victoria, 74 could be a good place to start looking, it has all the relevant references for the critters of this age and area.

Regards,

Steven Petkovski  |  Curator, National Mineral and Fossil Collection

Governance and Business Services  |  Corporate Services

National Mineral & Fossil Collection on Google Arts & Culture

t +61 2 6249 9303   www.ga.gov.au

16-9481 GA Email Signature_social media-04

16-9481 GA Email Signature_social media-v2-0116-9481 GA Email Signature_social media-v516-9481 GA Email Signature_social media-v2-0216-9481 GA Email Signature_social media-03