Hi Gemmers,

I'm in the process of of writing the catalogue for a physical and digital heritage archive collection of the work of a group of UK-based disabled artists.

I can use existing vocabularies to describe the media these artists worked with, but I'm keen that language and terminology selected by disabled people should be used to describe disabled life experiences. The catalogue will exist as part of a website so tagging or folksonomy is possible, but I'm really looking for a deeper level of interaction with disabled users as the catalogue is built during 2017 - I'm coming from the perspective that this represents an access issue for disabled audiences in the same way that a physical collection or building would be expected to offer properly accessible resources

I'll also be documenting my methods and results for my information management MSc dissertation. When this is complete in April 2018 I would offer it to those that are interested via thelist

Does anyone on the list have experience of user informed catalogues (at any level) or user created/mediated controlled vocabularies? It'd be useful to hear from you even if it's just an example you've come across in your reading or work.

Kind regards

--
Alex Cowan MA, NDACA Archivist and collections lead.
Read a great BBC profile of NDACA: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-35063050