Hi Kavous,

Please see below:

On 2 June 2017 at 02:12, Kavous Salehzadeh <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi Anderson,
>
> I am so grateful for your prompt response. I am new to FSL and in
> particular to PALM. So, sorry for any stupid questions.
>
> Let me explain more about the experiment and the hypothesis. My time
> points are:
>
> t1: pre-intervention
> t2: mid-intervention
> t3: post-intervention
> t4: follow-up (8 weeks after stopping intervention to see whether effect
> is persisting or not)
>
> And my three groups are:
>
> G1: control (no effect hypothesized within time points)
> G2: intervention1 (small effect hypothesized within t1-t2-t3 + *NO* persisting
> effect on t4)
> G3: intervention2 (greater effect hypothesized within t1-t2-t3 +
> persisting effect on t4)
>
> So according to my hypothesis, it seems I should follow your advice on
> using PALM and -ISE (without the assumption of compound symmetry).
>
> So now a couple of questions arose in my mind:
>
> 1) Can I still use semi-autonomous FSLVBM process (i.e., fslvbm_1_bet
> - fslvbm_2_template - fslvbm_3_proc) and later use PALM?

Yes and no. PALM won't know where the data is coming from. Now I notice you
are using VBM, which has skewed data, so the ISE assumption won't hold.
That leaves you with a choice between the ugly and the bad: compound
symmetry (unlikely to be valid) versus symmetric errors (certainly invalid).

Violating ISE is on average slightly conservative (we have seen with quite
extensive simulations), whereas violating compound symmetry leads to excess
false positives. So, if I were to choose, I'd go with ISE.

> 2) I know that in the longitudinal VBM analysis with two time-points, I
> should treat each time point as an individual subject, and later before
> randomize subtract GM_mod_merg_s* files between two time-points. I wonder
> in my case should I compute all pairwise differences and do PALM for each?
> (i.e., t1-t2, t1-t3, t1-t4, t2-t3, t2-t4, t3-t4). Does the following
> command seem right?
>
> *palm -i diff_t1_t2_GM_mod_merg_s3.nii -d design.mat -t design.con -m
> GM_mask.nii -f design.fts -eb eb_file.csv -vg vg_file.csv -T -C 3.1 -n 5000
> -save1-p -corrcon -o myresults -ise*

It wouldn't be crazy to test the various pairwise differences and do a
joint test with NPC, but that wouldn't be specific for trends evolving over
timepoints, and for your particular hypothesis it would amount to
overfitting.

> 3) Should I use [Pset, VG] = palm_quickperms(M, EB, P, ISE) or can I make
> my own vg.csv file (likewise attachment). If this command is necessary can
> I use design.mat for M?

You don't need palm_quickperms at all. This command is only if you want to
generate the set of permutations and VG to use in some different software
(e.g., to use with your own code for some unrelated task).

The VGs can be constructed manually or, in most cases, created
automatically with "-vg auto".

> 4) Can I still use FSL GLM command for making the design matrix?

Yes. Design matrix, contrasts, and EB (file *.grp) can be created with the
Glm command.

> Please see attached design matrix. Is it right matrix in my case?

This design isn't correct I'm afraid. Please see a different one here:
design_kavous.ods

> 5) Should I run PALM separately for permuting within-block (using
> -eb -vg and -within options) and permuting whole-block (using -eb -vg and
> -whole options)?

If you take my suggestion of not violating compound symmetry, then there
will be no -within, only -whole. That said, in general, it's possible to do
both things simultaneously (see the Multi-level block permutation paper
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S105381191500508X>).

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Anderson