Anoop, you say

" ... that when the evidence is grey or uncertain or weak, patient values and priorities should take precedence."

Two points:

1) What EBM actually is is not necessarily what EBM experts have claimed it should be.

And although you could have a point about patient values that 'should' be given precedence, this is also impossible.

2) This is because even guidelines with a weak evidence base are promoted and then instituted as part of mandatory processes by institutions and insurance companies. This process is  dominated by speciality experts and the guidelines quickly  become the standard of care.

This standard of care then, in reality, presents actual Individual patient values with raised expectations and misleading hope.

(The implementations of genetic tests to predict breast cancer recurrence, such as Oncotype-DX, and Mammaprint  are good examples of this. So was the recommendation to prescribe Tamiflu to children in UK durig the bird flu outbreak a few years ago. There are myriads of examples as we know.)

Best wishes

Owen