From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Maryam Almohammad [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 28 June 2017 16:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: DTLLS(ESOL) and equivalents

This is interesting how qualifications are used as a gatekeeping. I had experience in teaching  English abroad for three years. I have an MA in Teaching English for Warwick University and a PhD in Education (TESOL) from Bristol. However, I could not get any ESOL or foundation year job. The language centre at Bristol University told me if you do not have CELTA, we do not recognise academic qualifications plus experience. Some other institutions accept.

 Some teachers think they should go upwards from CELTA to MSc in TESOL. While I am asked to go downward, from MA and Phd in TESOL to CELTA. It feels really annoying.

Applying for an academic job is even harder because you are asked to have a teaching experience in TESOL in HE. Employers assume everyone is born with teaching experience.

Kind Regards,

Maryam

Kind Regards,

Maryam Almohammad
PhD in Education (Applied Linguistics & Literacy Studies)
Arabic Language Tutor
The School of Modern Languages
 University of Bristol