I second SQA, and English My Way, but my favourite remains ESOL Nexus. The website  has a whole section labelled “beginners”, including self-study units, teaching guides and materials to print out. https://esol.britishcouncil.org/content/learners/grammar-and-vocabulary/beginners

I really like the “Talking About Work” module. I used it as a whole class resource a few weeks ago, with a mixed ability Pre-Entry class of 14. https://esol.britishcouncil.org/content/teachers/lessons-and-activities/teaching-beginners/going-work

Best wishes

Eleanor Kliffen

From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of James Simpson
Sent: 28 June 2017 15:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Beginner ESOL materials and activities

Hello all

A friend of mine has been asked to step in at the last minute to teach a ‘pre-entry’ (i.e. beginner ESOL literacy) class and an E1 class at a training centre in Leeds tomorrow.

My friend is CELTA-trained but relatively inexperienced in ELT.

Both classes are small – around 8 adult learners in each. The students are all refugees living in Leeds. The focus appears to be on functional oral communication: she has been told that students need to be able to go the one stop centre to ask for an interpreter, for example, or to book an appointment with a GP, and be able to spell their names.

I have recommended (and lent!) Spiegel & Sunderland’s excellent book Teaching Basic Literacy to ESOL Learners. She also has a copy of the E1 materials that were produced to support the S for L AECC. Because this is in Leeds, I have also pointed her to the ESOLUK resources developed by Leeds City College: http://www.esoluk.co.uk/

Does anyone have any suggestions for materials and other activities, or indeed any advice for someone in this position? Perhaps for something more inspiring than ‘’asking for an interpreter”. Can you respond to this forum?

Many thanks

James

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]