Dear Colleagues

The MOSAIC Centre for Research on Multilingualism is pleased to host a public lecture by Professor Li Wei on June 19th 2017 at the University of Birmingham.

As part of a full week of activities, lectures and performances on ‘Translanguaging’ for the TLANG  International Summer School, we are delighted that Professor Li Wei will commence  proceedings by providing a state-of-the-art lecture setting out the theoretical underpinnings of this developing concept.

You are warmly invited to attend the address which will take place in the Lecture Theatre, Strathcona Building, University of Birmingham  from 3.45 pm to 5 pm.

While the lecture is free, registration is required.  This can be done here

Please see further details below.

Best wishes

Angela Creese

Angela Creese

Professor of Educational Linguistics and Principal Investigator TLANG

(Translation and Translanguaging: Investigating Linguistic and Cultural Transformations in Superdiverse Wards in Four UK Cities)

MOSAIC Centre for Research on Multilingualism, School of Education, University of Birmingham

Translanguaging as a Practical Theory of Language: Implications for practice and research

Li Wei

UCL Centre for Applied Linguistics

UCL Institute of Education

University College London, UK

Email: [log in to unmask]

The notion of Translanguaging has, in the last ten years or so, attracted a considerable amount of attention in the applied linguistics community and beyond. In this talk, I review the geneses of and different approaches to Translanguaging and explore the theoretical motivations behind the concept. I will argue that Translanguaging offers a new way of conceptualizing Language that is more relevant to the linguistic practices of the 21st century, whilst respecting historical facts about human language development. I will discuss the bigger theoretical questions Translanguaging enables us to address. I also highlight the necessity to bridge the artificial, and ideological, divide between the socio-cultural and what’s been called the cognitive, approaches to dynamic multilingual practices..

Li Wei is Chair of Applied Linguistics and Director of the UCL Centre for Applied Linguistics at the UCL Institute of Education, University College London, UK, and a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences, UK. His publications have appeared in journals ranging from Applied Linguistics, Modern Language Journal, Journal of Pragmatics, Language in Society  to Language, Cognition and Neuroscience, and Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics. He is Principal Editor of the International Journal of Bilingualism (Sage, SSCI, AHCI) and Applied Linguistics Review (De Gruyter, SSCI, AHCI) and series editor for ‘Research Methods in Language and Linguistics’ (Wiley-Blackwell). His recent publications include The Cambridge Handbook of Linguistic Multi-Competence (with Vivian Cook, 2016) and Translanguaging: Language, Bilingualism and Education (with Ofelia Garcia, 2014) which won the 2015 British Association of Applied Linguistics (BAAL) Book Prize.

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]