Dear Andrew and all,

As John (Cromby) noted: "Deleuzean perspectives, for example (which are currently very fashionable) have been subjected to . . . critiques". If interested in finding out more, I recommend you read the superb, short (173 pages), relatively accessible, book Deleuze and Psychology written by, clinician, Maria Nichterlein and, critical developmental psychologist and law scholar, John Morss (2017), Routledge. It is published in the series edited by Ian Parker (Concepts for Critical Psychology: Disciplinary boundaries rethought). In his Foreword, Ian writes: "critical psychologists must take seriously the work of this theorist if they are to take forward a 'Foucauldian' perspective on psychology, on the disciplining of populations and individuals". Ian continues: "This book takes up the challenge, providing a historical and conceptual overview of the context for the development of Deleuze's work, and then also enabling us to see what might happen to our psychology if we took his arguments on board . . . This challenge, as Maria Nichterlein and John Morss explain so clearly  and patiently, requires that we challenge dominant notions of ontology - what we think the things in the world are really like - and epistemology - which is how we elaborate a knowledge about those things" ".

You wrote: "I'm curious about where I might be able to learn more about these ideas without training to become a mental health social worker/nurse/psychologist/ psychotherapist or other MH professional. I'm thinking more along the lines of a face-to-face course, rather than books or other resources." I would suggest you consider popular education. If you have not read it I recommend you read The Sydney Hedge School by Aidan Kelly, Moja Kljakovic, Meredith Medway, James Morandini & Jemma Todd which was published in The Journal of Critical Psychology, Counselling and Psychotherapy (Special Issue: Australia) Volume 14, Number 4, December 2014 (Edited by me and Craig Newnes). It describes the initiative of a group of clinical psychology students in New South Wales to teach themselves about critical psychology through popular education process in a pub. If you are interested in the value of popular education to community activism I suggest you read The Wee Yellow Butterfly (2009) by the fabulously effective  Cathy McCormack.

David

From: Andrew Brown <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, 8 June 2017, 5:49
Subject: Re: 3 questions about environmentalist approaches

I just wanted to say thank you very much to everyone who responded to my questions. You've given me plenty to think about.

Best wishes,
Andrew

On 3 Jun 2017 4:53 pm, "Mark Burton" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
You might also find the approach of Liberation Psychology of interest. Martìn-Baró and others specifically developed an alternative to traditional Northern individualism in psychology.
See http://libpsy.org
Mark