Several further notes after contemplation, lunch and a slow day. If the protein is His-tagged, you could stick the unfolded protein to Ni-Resin and extensively wash with 8M Urea to remove DNA/Triton-X-100, elute, and then refold. This may be easier than multiple sonications/centrifugations. Or you could stick the folded protein that you have purified to the Nickel resin and wash with high concentrations of salt to remove DNA/Triton-X-100.

To check if is really DNA-protein complex you have prepped, you can run two agarose gels. Stain one with ethidium bromide and the other one coomassie stain. The two bands should coincide with each other (protocol for native agarose gel electrophoresis can be found here http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003269700945986).

Daniel A Bonsor PhD.

Sundberg Lab

Institute of Human Virology

University of Maryland, Baltimore