Good posting Martin- well said.

From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Matthew McMurray
Sent: 28 June 2017 09:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Use of terms which have become offensive.

Dear Michael

This question has come up several times on the List serve, though in most cases I think people have replied off list.

Words used to describe people at particular periods is a difficult subject for archivist, but despite pressure from elsewhere we should not deny history as that is a sure fire way to forget and repeat it.  These words need to be taken in their historical context.  Here we always use the original file titles and if alternative words are needed in the description or as keywords to allow searching by modern phrases then that is probably the way to go.  Some people use quotation marks, ad it you are comfortable with that then that is probably the route for you, but please don’t ever remove words because you think they might cause offence today.

Very best wishes

Matthew

Matthew McMurray BA(Hons) MA MLitt

Archivist

Royal Voluntary Service Archive & Heritage Collection

Unit 1a Bath Road Business Centre

Bath Road

Devizes

SN10 1XA