My guess is that it is the usual problem of not having good starting
estimates.  Before you do anything with your images, run CheckReg with a
selection of the images and one of the MNI-space images released with SPM.
If the images are poorly aligned, then things will fail.  Orientations
should be within about 15-20 degrees, and the positioning should be within
3-4 cm.

Best regards,
-John