Dear All,
(with apologies for cross-posting)

Notwithstanding its discipline-specific focus, I hope that the announcement of the below event will be of interest to many subscribers to this list.

You'd be most welcome to attend if you're interested. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Chris Wiley.

----------

Dear Colleagues,

Study Day on Teaching and Creativity in Popular Music
Studio One, Performing Arts and Technology Studio, Stag Hill Campus, University of Surrey
Saturday 10 June 2017, 10am-4:15pm

The programme for our upcoming Study Day is reproduced below.

Please register your (free) attendance at the following link so that we have an idea of numbers:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/study-day-on-teaching-and-creativity-in-popular-music-tickets-34869964001

Further information on the study day is available from the website: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/department-music-media/research-department/popular-music-teaching-creativity.

The University of Surrey is located in Guildford, 40 minutes away from London Waterloo by train.

For location and travel information, please see the University of Surrey visitors' page: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/visit-university

A campus map may be downloaded here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/files/pdf/campusmap.pdf (the Performing Arts and Technology Studio is labelled 'PATS')

Enquiries may be directed to Christopher Wiley, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

----------

STUDY DAY ON TEACHING AND CREATIVITY IN POPULAR MUSIC
Saturday 10 June 2017
Studio One, Performing Arts and Technology Studio, University of Surrey

9:30 Arrival

10am Welcome

10:10am Paper session
'Learning to Learn: An Ecological Approach to Teaching'
Liz Pipe and Simon Zagorski-Thomas (London College of Music, University of West London)
'What elements of the ethos and practices of Art School Pedagogy could help inform the development of Popular Music Higher Education?'
Simon Strange (Bath Spa University)

11:10am Break

11:30am Roundtable discussion
'Pedagogical Practice in Popular Music Teaching in Higher Education: Creative approaches and continuing challenges'
Christian Kennett (University of Westminster), Remy Martin (University of Surrey/Leeds College of Music), Monica Esslin-Peard (University of Liverpool), Christopher Wiley (University of Surrey)

12:30pm Lunch

1:30pm Teach-in Workshops 1
New musical theatre writing in an educational context
Alex Loveless (London College of Music, University of West London)
Technology
Bill Thompson (University of Surrey)

2:40pm Break

3pm Teach-in Workshops 2
Songwriting: Creativity using Jung's Archetypes
Angela Blacklaw (The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance)
Hip hop/music production
Mike Exarchos (University of Westminster)

4:10pm Close

Dr Christopher Wiley, SFHEA
Senior Lecturer in Music
National Teaching Fellow