​Thank you colleagues for such a useful response. i was a bit nervous about starting off a thread, but with encouragement from a friend/colleague I jumped in  with both feet - and I thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks again,

Tracy Part

From: Roger Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 22 May 2017 21:24
To: Tracy Part
Subject: Re: Ideas on mindset theories please

Dear Tracy,

I’m very interested in your question, particularly with reference to barriers around mathematics.

For many years I’ve been trying to understand issues around mathematics within engineering education, having seen them limit the potential of many otherwise excellent students.

Although I have some clear views on the subject I’m still setting them down and seeking literature to support how they may be taken forward. Broadly I’ve started with how the subject is presented, through the mindset of the staff, and their expectations of what is required for a future career. I would therefore be interested in how your work progresses.

The next annual symposium of the UK & Ireland Engineering Education Research Network will be in London in November and this may well be one of the topics covered.

Best regards

Roger

Dr Roger Penlington

BEng PGCertAP PhD FSGT FSEDA SFHEA
Associate Professor,

Department of Mechanical & Construction Engineering
Rm 510 Wynne Jones Building

Northumbria University
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 8ST
tel - 0191 2437229
email -

Please note that I am only in the office Monday to Wednesday and therefore may not immediately be able to respond to your email

Vice Chair UK and Ireland Engineering Education Research Network

https://hefocus.raeng.org.uk/research-network/

Society of Glass Technology: http://www.sgt.org/

http://www.centenary.sgt.org/Cambridge2017/

and   http://www.furnacesolutions.co.uk/