I agree  with your comments, Jason, the only thing I would challenge ( or encourage you to challenge with your academics) is that sessional examinations can be used to stop cheating. There is increasing evidence of the use of increasingly sophisticated and small mobile devices in examination halls. Your excellent mathematician could be just a snapchat away!

From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jason Davies
Sent: 18 May 2017 11:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Non-essay based plagiarism

Hello Alice, and list

I can pass on some anecdotal stuff from Maths and similar which has been mentioned to me occasionally: plagiarism is often undifferentiable from collusion, and is only really detectable when mistakes are made during the working-out because those are more identifiable and therefore suspicious.

This has the effect of meaning that the only logical way to cheat is to do it really well, which means students have to work out how to do the maths properly -- maths which they're already struggling with (you see the paradox). Off the record, I've been told that just as essay subjects worry about essay mills being undetectable, they sometimes worry that clusters of almost perfect marks in coursework may indicate a social group with one or two excellent mathematicians happy to help others rather than a group of independently excellent mathematicians. But they shrug and say this is why they retain exams alongside coursework, and why the majority of the assessment should remain exam-based.

Looking forward to seeing your results, though. I'll ask around in relevant disciplines to see if I can get any more bits and pieces.

Cheers

Dr Jason P Davies
Interim Director, UCL Arena<https://www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning/professional-development>
UCL Arena Centre for Research-Based Education<www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning/about-us/arena-centre> (formerly CALT)
10th Floor, 1-19 Torrington Place, London, WC1E 7HB
@JasonPtrDavies<https://twitter.com/JasonPtrDavies>

Visit the UCL Teaching and Learning Portal<www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning>

[Image removed by sender.]<https://www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning/professional-development>