Dr Alan Billings: First Confirmed Keynote Speaker

Our new Conference web pages are up and running (take a look at http://conference. archives.org.uk/). Book your place now on the website.

Our theme this year is ‘Challenge the Past, Set the Agenda’. The draft programme is now available for inspection on the website, so you can see the full range of options on offer across the three main streams: Conservation, Archives & Records, and Digital. We’ll also have an ‘ARA in Action’ stream on the second day, where you can get up to date on issues affecting the profession. We still have a couple of slots to fill in the programme and will clean up the draft on a rolling basis over the coming weeks. So keep an eye out.

You’ll already see the impressive range of speakers from across Europe, North America, Asia and Africa. Conference is about learning and sharing best practice within our own community, of course, but also with partners in the wider world.

And we have our first confirmed keynote speaker. Dr Alan Billings is the (elected) Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire in England. His responsibilities include oversight of the criminal justice system in his area and delivering on public accountability. South Yorkshire has had to deal with some controversial issues in recent years, including the Hillsborough tragedy, Orgreave, child abuse and others.

Dr Billings will deliver the opening keynote on the morning of 30 August. He has placed good records management and archival practice at the heart of his role, in partnership with Sheffield City Council and South Yorkshire Police. We will hear his insights into all these matters, including the importance of records for accountability and how records managers can get the attention of senior managers and decision-makers to make their business cases most effectively. We are delighted that he is able to join us. As ever, there will be ample time for questions from the floor.

---

Conference Committee
Archives and Records Association (UK & Ireland)

www.archives.org.uk
www.learnaboutarchives.ie
www.communityarchives.org.uk

ARA Annual Conference 2017
Deansgate Hilton, Manchester
30 August – 1 September

Prioryfield House
20 Canon Street
Taunton
Somerset
TA1 1SW

The Information contained in this email is confidential. It is for the
exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and not for circulating
without agreement. If you are not the intended recipient(s) you are
hereby notified that any circulation or copying of this email is
strictly prohibited. Any opinions expressed may be those of the
individual and not necessarily the Archives and Records Association (UK & Ireland).
Charity Registered in England and Wales Number 1041063
Charity Registered in Scotland Number SC041671
Registered Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales Number 2969472
Registered Office: Ground Floor, Blackbrook Gate 1, Blackbrook
Business Park, Taunton, Somerset TA1 2PX