I think there is good evidence to suggest that retention periods for
records can be traced back in England to 1200 when Richard I ordered the
creation of archives to ensure that duplicate copies were kept of important
records (after many had been destroyed in riots not long before).

From that date until relatively recently, most minimum retention periods
related to property contracts. The following is extracted from my article
published in the Australian IQ magazine in February 2013.

Writs of Entry began to appear from 1199, including ad terminum qui
preteriit (‘for a term that has expired’). Writs of Entry before and after
1237 were as follows:

   - Before 1237, ‘… plaintiffs could not claim land on the basis of seisin
   before the day in 1135 when Henry I died.’
   - In 1237, the Statute of Merton, 20 Hen III (1235) stated that a writ
   of right for land-related claims could not refer back to any time before
   the coronation of Henry II in 1154.
   - In 1275, the Statue of Westminster, 3 Ed I c 39 moved this date
   forward to the coronation of Richard I in 1189.

These dates were not changed again until enactment of the Act of Limitation
1540, which prescribed the following limitation periods for land-related
writs:

   - 60 years for land-related writs of right.
   - 50 years for writs of morts d’ancestor.
   - 30 years for claims based on possession of the claimant.10

As time went on, proof of lawful origin ‘… became for practical purposes
impossible (as) the evidence was not available’ to assess claims of novel
disseisin. Judges apparently instructed juries that ‘if there was evidence
of enjoyment for the period of living memory, they could assume that the
right had existed since 1189′.  As time wore on, this became impossible to
prove.

Statute of Limitations Act 1623

It was not until 1623 that the Statute of Limitations Act 1623 fixed a 20
year period for ‘writs of formedom’. Until the passage of the Act, no
limitation periods had existed for other, non land-related, claims. The new
Act included limitation periods for non-land-related claims as follows:

   - Two years: Actions for slander.
   - Four years: Actions of trespass to the person, assault, menace,
   battery, wounding and imprisonment.
   - Six years: Actions on the case (other than slander); actions for
   account, other than such accounts as concern the trade of merchandise
   between merchant and merchant, their factors or servants; actions of
   trespass, detinue, action sur trover, and replevin for taking away of goods
   or cattle; actions of debt grounded upon any lending or contract without
   speciality; and actions of debt for arrears of rent; actions of trespass to
   land.

The 1623 Act also provided for an extension of time where the plaintiff was
under the age of 21, a married woman (‘feme covert’), mentally disabled
(‘non compos mentis’), imprisoned, or ‘beyond the seas’. However, these
changes still proved difficult in practice and often relied on ‘legal
fictions of presumed grants’ effectively based on ‘time immemorial’ (that
is, since 1189).

The reason for a six year limitation period for ‘Actions on the case’ may
never be known. According to a report of the UK Law Commission in 2009, ‘…
we have been unable to trace any information on the reason why the six year
period was thought appropriate’. However, the six year period ‘which at
present applies to the majority of such actions … is familiar to the
general public’.

The Law Commission added that: ‘No limitation period applied to contracts
under seal (that is, specialties), actions of account between merchants,
their servants or factors, actions brought for debt under a special
statute, or actions brought on a record’.

Limitation periods for land related actions were reviewed by the Real
Property Commissioners in 1829.  The Commissioners recommended the
retention of the 20 year period, implemented in the Real Property
Limitation Act 1833 and the Prescription Act 1832.  The Commissioners also
found that no limitation periods applied in some cases, including where
seisin did not need to be alleged. And, there were no statute of
limitations applied to actions by the Church. The 20 year period was then
reduced to 12 years by the Real Property Limitation Act 1874.

Limitation periods were further reviewed in 1936 and the following
recommendations made.

   - That a single limitation period of six years should apply to actions
   in simple contract, and actions in tort.
   - A new limitation period of 12 years (down from 20) was created for
   actions on a specialty.

Andrew Warland
Sydney, Australia