Thanks Eleanor. Realism is a broad methodological church. For me it's core is an acceptance of the reality of causal mechanisms, independent of the events that they generate. So if you conceive your natural experiment as involving an attempt to understand the generative mechanisms entailed in the intervention, it's natural and social context, as well as those possessed by the actors involved, in addition to measuring its impact, then a realist approach could well be fruitful.

Best wishes, Sam