On the question of 'the role of society in face to that natural phenomena' and if I were to add my comment also, it would be that 'storm energy' versus 'population' is an over-simplified view of the issue. Of course storm energy would be significant but also so would what people, ie: population, had done or had not done in a tornado-prone environment. In other words, behavioural factors would be part of the issue in this example of 'adjustment' to hazards. Have we not seen that term somewhere; didn't it come from natural hazards research in the USA during the 1960s (culminating in eg: White, Gilbert (Ed) Natural Hazards: Local, National, Global. OUP New York London Toronto. 1974)?

Perhaps after all "There's no new thing under the sun"....

James

James Lewis Datum International www.datum-international.eu