Hi, dave.

Well observed -- the original Statute would have been written in Anglo-Norman,
so what you have in my post is a later translation.  Just when the translations
were made, I haven't yet been able to work out -- you'd think someone, somewhere
on the Web, would deal with this, but if they do, I haven't yet found any
pertinent reference.  Probably sometime in the mid-sixteenth century, at a
guess, when the Statutes began to be issued in Collections.  The eighteenth
century collections (by Ruffhead and Pickering) are the easiest ones to find,
and these usually print the original Anglo-Norman and the English version side
by side, with the English (presumably) derived from whichever version was first
produced.

I came on it when I was trying to track down exactly which Statute Thomas Harman
refers to (both vaguely and disingenuously -- it's a long and peculiar story) in
A Caveat for Common Cursitors in 1567.  It's the 1383 Statute, for what that's
worth, in Harman's case.

"2 R. 2. st. 1. c. 5. [i.e. 1379]" -- this is the standard way the bloody things
are referred to: the year of the reign of the relevant monarch. So the one I
posted was issued in the second year of the reign of Richard II -- i.e. 1379 --
and it's from the 5th chapter/section of the first Statute issued in that year.
 Except, as I say, the original would have been written at that point in time in
Anglo-Norman.

Best,

Robin