I don't know if this applies to older engines, but for the cylinders of Cornish engines of the 19th century with four holding-down bolts, the length of the side of the square of the bolt holes is an approximation of the cylinder diameter. If this is your 1.1 m measurement, the cylinder diameter would have been 42-45 inches.

Damian Nance.

________________________________
From: mining-history <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of margaret and michael shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 3:46:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: cylinder size

I have been involved with a ruined pumping engine house which retains its
cylinder bed and wonder whether it is possible to know diameter of the
cylinder from the spacing of the bolts. The building does not predate the
early 1780s and was certainly out of use by the 1860s, possibly earlier.
The bed and loading are probably not from the first engine housed and there
is a pit between the bed and the bob wall which suggests that the last
occupant was a Boulton and Watt or similar engine. The bolts are at 1.1m
centres.
The cylinder bed has been cut approximately in half and rejoined with
wrought iron clamps/dogs set in lead, why would this have been done?
Mike Shaw

If you need to leave the list, send the following message to [log in to unmask] -

leave mining-history
---------