I copied this to Ian Castledine who responded thus:

Probably about a 42 inch cylinder. sounds like bed stone had fractured so they
cut it neatly and re joined it... don't forget there is only vertical movement, no
lateral, so as long as cylinder block is clamped down properly it should be ok.

Cheers,

--
David Kitching
              http://www.brocross.com