From: Davidson, Mary <[log in to unmask]>
To: LIS-LINK <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu, 25 May 2017 16:06
Subject: 24/7 library opening

I read with interest the Loughborough University summary report on decision making around academic library opening hours.

Our library will be going 24/7 in the not too distant future.  We are not a large institution and do not have much in the way of pre-existing campus security measures in place.  Additionally we are a mixed economy institution (roughly 50:50 split in terms of student numbers across FE and HE) and a very open campus.  The plan is for the library to be unstaffed every day from 5.30 pm to 8.00 am the next morning (and from 5.30 pm on a Friday until 8.00 am on a Monday).

I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has gone 24/7 whether any of the concerns they had were in the end unjustified, or whether additional “issues” reared their heads around security, safeguarding etc. and in balancing student expectation (demand for access vs. an unstaffed service).

With thanks,

Mary

Mary Davidson MSc MCLIP
Lead Librarian
Writtle University College
Lordship Road, Writtle, Chelmsford, Essex CM1 3RR
D:
01245 424243
T: 01245 424200
E: [log in to unmask]

W: writtle.ac.uk

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
See us on Instagram
Email Signature - Office 365

********************************************************* FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: For all requests for information which may come under the Freedom of Information Act please contact the Freedom of Information Act officer at [log in to unmask]. ********************************************************* This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Please also note that unless stated explicitly, this information is not necessarily the view or policy of Writtle University College, and it does not form any kind of contract. *********************************************************