From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Polly Flinders
Sent: 11 May 2017 14:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pat Thomson on 'self plagiarism'

Dear all

I can see that a research paper might comment on and build on previous work by the author, and would not view that as self-plagiarism, but in this case large chunks of material whether data or text would probably not be repeated.  However, and particularly at undergraduate level, I would take a dim view of students who try to 'recycle' work from previous modules - perhaps in different general subject areas, or from previous years' work, or from previous courses (i.e.  at different institutions).

I would argue that plagiarism tend to occur when students try to get two grades for one piece of work whether or not the source was written by the same person.  Double bubble is cheating.

P A Flinders