On 4 May 2017 at 12:01, David Dollenmayer wrote:

Date sent:         Thu, 4 May 2017 12:01:31 -0400
Send reply to:   <[log in to unmask]>
From:                "David Dollenmayer" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:            Re: NBA: Hyperion or The Hermit in Greece
To:                    <[log in to unmask]>

> T. J. Reed's blurb overlooks Ross Benjamin's 2008 translation
> (Archipelago Books).

Willard Trask was responsible for the first published translation in English in 1965 (Signet Classics). (Bayard Quincy Morgan produced one in the early 1940s, but this is extant only in typescript.) Eric Santner's compilation Hölderlin: Hyperion and Selected Poems of 1990 (Continuum) opens with a reprint of Trask, lightly reworked by David Schwarz. So India Russell's version would qualify as somewhere between the third and the fourth.

Number 4 1/2 is not far behind!

Howard Gaskill