From: Jan Barratt <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, 25 May 2017, 15:50
Subject: Re: School bookings - H&S requirements

I think this is unreasonable. Insurance and risk assessments ok.  DBS and First Aid not applicable. Professional qualifications and references not relevant or their business. Agreement to their code of practice!!!! I wish school visit leaders would adhere to our code of practice/terms and conditions (or even read it).  They are coming onto our premises not the other way round.

The leaders are responsible for their charges and should not leave them alone with Museum staff or volunteers.  It is illegal to apply for a DBS check unless you are in a role with sole supervision of a child/children or young person/people.

Having said that, the vast majority of our schools are brilliant, some do ask for copies of our insurance and rarely we are asked for our Health and Safety Policy.  We make it clear that our risk assessment is generic and provide complimentary tickets for leaders to do their own using ours as a starting point.  The information schools are sent gives guidelines on health and safety and clearly states that the school leaders are responsible for the children at all times.  We do provide first aid as a moral duty of care to our visitors, but the legal requirement is only to our staff and volunteers not the public.

I would be ringing the school and asking why this information is required, and then I’d go to the local authority/academy lead with the same question.

Jan

Jan Barratt
Learning and Participation Manager

01773 854328