From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Monika Neall <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 17 May 2017 08:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: asking about highest level of education on surveys

Hi Litza,

There is the assumption (I think based on some research, though I haven't put my finger on it just now), that the more educated people are, the more entitled they feel to visit cultural spaces.

If your visitor numbers reflect this, then it can inform the basis of a strategy to have a stronger outreach department. This could be in the form of relationships with schools, so that younger children learn to feel comfortable in your space and continue that regardless of their future education levels, or it could be in the form of programs for adults and finding ways to engage people and make people feel welcome who haven't done before.

Sometimes there is specific funding available for this kind of work, sometimes it simply reflects the museum's mission statement of reaching a broad range of people.

Warm regards,

Monika.

--
Monika Neall