If you have perfusion images from your ASL data that have good grey-white matter contrast in them, i.e. they are not especially noisy in appearance, then I would use that as the basis of your registration to the structural image using the BBR cost function. This can be achieved fairly robustly using epi_reg, something that is built into the new version of asl_reg and available in the pre-release of BASIL (link to appear on wiki soon I hope).

I am likewise surprised if you are getting better appearing results with the linear structural to standard transformation, but my guess would be that this is to do with propagating errors from the asl to structural transformation.

For masking, I would generally recommend that you transform you regions into the native space of the data and then threshold to create the mask and apply. YOu could also apply a GM mask in this space, using the PV estimates from fsl_anat, this will make a big difference given the different perfusion and grey and white matter. The challenge is that it is hard to get voxels in ASL data with a high proportion of grey matter due to partial volume effects - you can probably only use a threshold of 70% max when working in native space (this isn’t an issue in structural or standard space - expect that the partial volume effects are still there, but hidden, a good reason to work in native space). Another alternative is to apply some sort of partial volume correction - we still don't have a lot of experience with interpretation of results after partial volume correction, but I am encouraging people to give it a go (whilst also doing a conventional analysis) to see if we can understand better to what degree it helps.

Michael