Hi Michiko,

How about this model:

EV1: Patient group 1
EV2: Patient group 2
EV3: Controls
EV4: age
EV5: sex
EV6: Patient-specific nuisance variable.

About mean-centering: if the contrasts will only compare groups (EV1, EV2
and EV3), such that all other variables are never tested on their own, then
there is no need for any mean-centering.

This should also address the template issue: use all subjects, or a
balanced random composition of members from all three groups.

All the best,

Anderson