I completely agree with Karina- the message of hope, love and unity was the overwhelming message from media courage. It is far more helpful to give as little attention to the perpetrator as possible.
All our staff and all our learners, whatever their faith, were devastated to hear news of this appalling crime. The mood was, and is, incredibly sombre. As Karina alludes, it is a difficult subject to talk about because no one can fathom why anyone could kill innocent children and families at a pop concert, not because there is underlying prejudice. Emma

Sent from my iPhone

On 24 May 2017, at 09:02, karinakempton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Laila, from what I saw on the news last night the focus didn't seem to be on the Muslim community, but more on the people of Manchester coming together. This attack has upset me more than any of the others, I think because I have 2 children, and I can't get my head around someone deliberately killing children. I don't know how to speak about it in class. Yesterday we had speaking and listening exams at work and one of the learners even mentioned it in the exam as her partner had said she had family there. Karina

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------
From: Laila El-Metoui <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 24/05/2017 03:48 (GMT+00:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Current context and its impact on our ESOL learners

The current threat level in the U.K.  is Critical after the Manchester Arena bombing of 22 May 2017. It was previously Severe, which was upgraded from Substantial on 29 August 2014.

This means an imminent attack according to Wikipedia

From which country?

I totally understand the immense distress the Manchester attack has caused and condemn violence with every fibre in my body.

I would like to encourage teachers to follow in the footsteps of the teachers at EFA and bring the discussion back to the classroom https://efalondon.wordpress.com/2017/05/23/in-solidarity-with-manchester/

Questions  come to my mind

- What will the impact on the Muslim communities  be , given it's nearly the start of Ramadan?

- how will this impact on our civil liberties ?

- what else can we do to as a sector

What are your thoughts ?

More than ever we need to think critically and not get sucked in to being brain washed by the media and hidden agendas (from politicians and corporations)

Thank you

Laila El-Metoui
LGBT Education Consultant & Teacher Educator
https://lelmeducation.wordpress.com
Member of Action for ESOL http://actionforesol.org/ and NATECLA London https://nateclaldn.wordpress.com
Supporter The Ruth Hayman Trust http://www.ruthhaymantrust.org.uk
Sent from iPhone
*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]