Colleagues,
See below regarding a workshop on cancer ontologies at this year's
International Conference on Biomedical Ontology in Newcastle. One of the
organisers asked me to forward this in case people are interested in the
computational aspects of biomedical ontology.
Please contact the organisers directly with any questions.
Apologies for cross posting.
Here's a link to the workshop and conference:
https://sites.google.com/site/icbo2017oncologyontology/
http://conferences.ncl.ac.uk/icbo17/

*Call for Papers for the 1st International Workshop on Oncology and
Ontology, ONCONTO 2017*
*In conjunction with the International Conference on Biomedical Ontology
(ICBO)*
September 13-15, 2017 in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

*** Submission Deadline: June 9th, 2017  ***

*https://* <https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=onconto2017>*sites.google.com/site/icbo2017oncologyontology/
<http://sites.google.com/site/icbo2017oncologyontology/>*
*https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=onconto2017*
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=onconto2017>

*Workshop Theme and Topics*

To effectively treat and prevent cancer, we need to bring together data
from multiple domains, such as electronic medical records, genomic data,
tissue data, epidemiological data, and clinical trial data. Personalized
medicine requires the integration of clinical and research findings from
multiple disciplines, and cancer strikes each affected individual in a unique
and specific way from the molecular, cellular, anatomical, genetic, and
emotional perspectives. We aim to convene an interdisciplinary group of
ontologists and cancer researchers through the *ONCONTO* (oncology and
ontology) workshop in order to advance the ontological representation of
cancer and related entities to support both broader research in the domain and
personalized treatment approaches.
Topics include:

   - Revision and expansion of existing ontological resources for
   representing cancer and related biomedical entities creation of new
   ontologies for the oncology domain that address gaps in representation.
   - Ontology-based data analysis of cancer patient or basic research
   data related to epidemiology, etiology, genomics, diagnosis, and treatment
   of cancer.
   - Use of ontologies for translational research related to cancer; and
   exploratory research or position papers related to ontologies and cancer.

We will organize our workshop into different sections based on the topics
of presentations. Presentation time allocation will be determined after the
number of each submission type is finalized. Panel discussions at the end
of each section will be arranged based on the time availability.
------------------------------
*Submission *

For the paper submission, we will allow three submission formats:

   - full research papers (6-10 pages) format
   - work in progress / late breaking results (2-4 pages), and
   - a statement of interest (one page) for podium presentation.

The paper format will be the same as the format used in ICBO.
All the papers will be submitted and handled through Easy Chair:
*https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=onconto2017*
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=onconto2017>

------------------------------
*Workshop Schedule/Important Dates *

   - Individual Workshop Papers Due: *June 9, *2017
   - Notification of Acceptance: June 25, 2017
   - Early Bird Registration: June 15, 2017
   - Meeting: September 13-15, 2017
   -

------------------------------
*Workshop Organizers*

Alexander D. Diehl, PhD
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at
Buffalo, SUNY

William D. Duncan, PhD
Assistant Professor of Oncology
Associate Director of the Clinical Data Network
Roswell Park Cancer Institute

Carmelo Gaudioso, MD, PhD
Assistant Member, Clinical Research
Roswell Park Cancer Institute

—
Alexander D. Diehl, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
Department of Biomedical Informatics
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
Buffalo, New York 14203
work phone:  +1 716-881-8975 <(716)%20881-8975>/+1 716-881-7466
<(716)%20881-7466>
email:  [log in to unmask]