Regarding that paper, I would point out that cytosols generally contain 50-100 mM glutamate, so it makes sense that glutamate enhances solubility.

JPK

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Evans, Nicola
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 8:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] BSA as additive

I haven't used BSA, but I did recently use 50mM L-glutamic acid for this exact reason (and 5% glycerol in all buffers except the last one for crystallography) after reading this paper and it made a big difference to my last protein prep: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15264823

For my final crystallography buffer I have tried with and without L-glutamic acid (as I am trying to optimise micro-crystals and worried the L-glu would make sample too soluble) but still waiting to see if I get any improvement. Both have drops with micro-crystals already (after 2 days), the L-glutamic acid sample has fewer, hoping some other drops will yield better crystals over time.

Hope that helps!

Nicola