**Apologies for cross-posting, please share widely**

​

*DEADLINE: 28th May 2017*

*‘The long dark night of the end of history has to be grasped as an
enormous opportunity (…). In a situation in which nothing can happen,
suddenly anything is possible.’ *

*– Mark Fisher*

The anti-disciplinary conference organised by the MA students of the Centre
for Cultural Studies (CCS) is engaging this year with the spectre of
futurities. We are not so presumptuous as to declare the slow cancellation
of the future to be a completed process. Indeed, it is perhaps in the very
moment at which we accept the definitive conclusion of this project that
the future truly ceases to exist. And this is precisely why we meet: to
discuss what we might do - as activists, thinkers, artists, groups and
initiators - against the slow cancellation of the future.

Parallel to the talks, we are organising an exhibition and screening space
that will be open to audiences during the conference days. Due to the
anti-disciplinary approach that we have chosen, we question the classical
academic format and instead wish to explore a continuum between theory and
practice. Art remains one of the three methods to engage with chaos (cf.
Deleuze & Guattari); hence, within the framework of the conference, we
encourage artists to engage with the topic and its ramifications through
the medium(s) of their preference (digital, performances, installation etc).

Our frame of reference is Franco “Bifo” Berardi’s 'slow cancellation of the
future', which we in the same breath proclaim our opposition to. Mark
Fisher reminds us that its meaning “is not only that sense of termination,
but [also] the gradual nature of it”; the future not having been
unashamedly ripped from our grasp, but rather stolen away silently, piece
by piece in an almost imperceptible and seemingly unalterable way.

The conference is broadly divided into the following categories:

- Confiscated Futures
- Futures of the Past
- The Worst of All Possible Futures

- Alternative Futures

We encourage you to engage with the above topics, but the ramifications
could be further extended. You can submit up to three artworks but all
won't necessarily be chosen.

If you are interested in participating, please complete the form attached
and send it to *[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*, attaching a
brief cv/ intro about yourself and a short cover letter (less than 500
words for each work), describing the work(s) proposed and explaining how
and why it resonates with the topic of the conference (if available please
attach an image/video/audio file thereof).

Please email the above id for an application form.

--
Art SubCommittee
MA Conference 2017