Dear colleagues,

Some of you may be interested in participating in the 2017 annual
Cumberland Colloquium, entitled *Social Cohesion in Times of Uncertainty:
Political, Economic and Social Change. *
Societies throughout Europe, North America and across the world are
experiencing overlapping and interlinked political, social and economic
crises that are pulling us unevenly in every direction: pressing strangers
together and pulling neighbours apart, creating new forms of hate and new
forms of kinship.

The effects of the 2008 financial crisis can still be felt in households
worldwide, whilst the political events of Brexit, the election of Donald
Trump and the rise of right wing populism across Europe simultaneously
create intense uncertainty whilst promising security and familiarity.  What
do these crises, and governments’ and communities’ responses to them, mean
for participation and integration? Does social cohesion have the answers to
these problems? How can we make our communities and societies more cohesive?

These are amongst the pressing questions that will be tackled at the 2017
Cumberland Colloquium. Drawing upon the expertise and experience of
academics, the policy community and the third sector, the event will:

·        Bring together academics, particularly postgraduate researchers
and early career academics, from multiple fields in the social sciences,
humanities, and human sciences.

·        Encourage dialogue between the academic community, policy
stakeholders and researchers working at the forefront of policy development
and analysis.

·        Contribute to, and increase the visibility of, public debate on
social cohesion in times of uncertainty.

·        Develop meaningful and productive collaboration between academics
and the policy community, resulting in expanded networks and cutting-edge
research.

Reflecting its broad and multidisciplinary nature, the colloquium asks five
central questions, each drawing upon different disciplines and policy
areas:

   - What should social cohesion look like, and how should we build it?
   - How can we understand and bridge the many gaps in our society?
   - How might we re-examine the complex relation between cultural works
   and social cohesion?
   - How do businesses enhance or hinder social cohesion?
   - How does the politics of (in)security affect cohesion?

*Call for proposals*

We welcome proposals for papers, roundtables, screenings or other events
you think will contribute to engaging with the topics and problems above.
Please see the attached  'Call for papers'.

We also welcome interested observers.

*The deadline for abstracts is 9th June 2017 – the CfP can be found here
<http://www.cumberlandlodge.ac.uk/sites/default/files/public/Social%20Cohesion%20-%20Cumberland%20Colloquium%202017%20-%20Call%20For%20Papers.pdf>*.
Any questions can be sent to [log in to unmask]

We are also excited to announce the inclusion of a roundtable, which will
involve diverse perspectives from those working in policy, thinktank
research and the cultural industries. The panel includes:

*Dr. Wanda Wyporska* – Executive Director of the Equality Trust

*Phil Bloomer* – Executive Director of the Business and Human Rights
Resource Centre

*Olivier Horn* – French filmmaker

A fourth panellist will be announced soon.
Bookings

Registration is no open, but please note that the start and finish times
are subject to change.

Please contact Rachel Smillie (Education Officer) at
[log in to unmask] to find out more.

The Cumberland Colloquium
<http://www.cumberlandlodge.ac.uk/about-us/supporting-students/cumberland-colloquia>
is
organised by a committee of academics and early career researchers with
support from the Education team at Cumberland Lodge.
This year's committee members are: Dr Matthew Donoghue (University of
Oxford), Kerstin Frie (University of Oxford), Dr Samentha Goethals
(independent researcher), Dr Sadek Kessous (Newcastle University) and Dr
Ben Whitham (De Montfort University).

Many thanks for your interest in participating or circulating the call!

Dr, Samentha Goethals, PhD
Independent Researcher
Senior Researcher in Labour Rights - Business & Human Rights Resource
Centre, London

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers
*
* To unsubscribe: please log on to jiscmail.ac.uk, and            *
* go to the 'Subscriber's corner' page.                                  *
*