From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Laszlo Bartosiewicz [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 April 2017 11:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] four horned sheep

Dea Ylva,

Many thanks for the prompt reply. In general I am familiar with the four-horned phenomenon.

The information on Gute sheep is very interesting. I only read that some two horned breeds are occasionally used to balance against inbreeding in four-horned forms.

My chief question is whether the small stub shown in the picture could be related to the woolen "tuft" in polled ewes where four horns are not manifested?

The present skull you mentioned is an encouraging sign of the current presence of four-horned sheep in Sweden (as during the late Middle Ages in the Baltic Region). I would like to receive a picture.

But could the photo I posted on ZooBook be a four-horned ewe "in disguise"? Unfortunately I have not found much concrete information on the genetics of four-horned sheep.

Thank you once again, this is very interesting information.  Best wishes, Laszlo