From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Thierry Chaminade <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 26 April 2017 09:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SPM] fMRI First level Bayesian estimation: some weird CBeta maps

Dear SPMers,

For reasons explained in reference below, I am using Bayesian first level estimation of an event-related fMRI experiment (with AR(6)).

I would like to understand why the CBeta images for the first trial (the data is processed for MVPA analysis with 1 column per trial) are strikingly different from the other trials (cf image hereunder). In particular it seems that the limits of the subvolumes used for the estimate are clearly visible in CBeta_0001, but invisible from CBeta_0003 onward. This is true for all of the 6 acquisition sessions.

My questions for Bayesian experts are 1) is it normal?, 2) Can (should) it be corrected? and 3) Is it correct to continue an MVPA analysis with such images?

Thanks in advance for any help you could bring me on this issue!
Best regards, Thierry C.

CBeta_0001Images intégrées 1

CBeta_0003
Images intégrées 2

For information, SDBeta_0001
Images intégrées 3

Reference:
Gilron, R., Rosenblatt, J.D., Mukamel, R., 2016. Addressing the ‘problem’ of Temporal Correlations in MVPA Analysis. Proceeding of the In: Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Pattern Recognition in Neuroimaging.