Dear Khalil and Thomas,

The two volumes are actually not identical, the first one is continuous
while the second is a discretised volumetric approximation of a sphere.

For simple continuous shapes such as a sphere, there is a known formulae
to compute the Resel counts, see section 3.2 and table 1 p.18 of this
paper from Keith Worsley:
  http://www.math.mcgill.ca/keith/unified/unified.pdf
otherwise, for voxel data, the Resel counts is computed using equations
from section 3.3 of the same paper.

Have a look at spm_resels.m for the implementation.

This is also described in section 3.5 of this chapter from the SPM book:
  http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/doc/books/hbf2/pdfs/Ch14.pdf

Best regards,
Guillaume.

--