From: Social History Curators Group email list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Holly Trubshawe
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 2:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Brass mortar information/identification

This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. -------------------------------

Hello all,

We had the following object offered to the museum, which has an interesting story, but we are not entirely sure what it is or how old it is.

We think it is a mortar, possibly brass and it was found in about 1987 while digging out the old water main at the rear of a shop on the main high street  in Kingsbridge, Devon.

It was buried below the level of the old water main. It has been with the family who dug it up ever since.

It measures 11.5cm circumference at the top (though its not completely circular!)

The bottom is 8.5cm circumference

Height 9cm

There are a couple of bands round the body under the top. I have attached photographs. We think it might be late 18th century, but if anyone has a similar one, or can add any information, that would be great.

Thanks,

Holly Trubshawe

Curatorial Assistant

Kingsbridge Cookworthy Museum

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST

Your City Council is a Living Wage Employer.

This message and any file or link transmitted with it is confidential, subject to copyright, and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged information. Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, distribution or publication is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender by reply email and destroy and delete the message and all copies from your computer.

Any views expressed within the body of this message are solely those of the author(s) involved, and do not necessarily represent those of the City Council.

This message has been scanned for viruses.