From: Research Data Management discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Sheppard
Sent: maandag 24 april 2017 16:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Citations from published research data?

Hi Hardy

I’ve also been wondering about tracking citations; this dataset in Dryad* - http://datadryad.org/resource/doi:10.5061/dryad.234 - is heavily downloaded and I’ve found it cited by doi in ≈ 10 papers in the White Rose Research Archive…but when I put it into WoS Data Citation Index<http://wokinfo.com/products_tools/multidisciplinary/dci/> it came up with just a single citation from the original paper - http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1461-0248.2009.01285.x (which according to Scopus has itself been cited by 695 documents<https://www.scopus.com/results/citedbyresults.uri?sort=plf-f&cite=2-s2.0-62149108514&src=s&imp=t&sid=7CF49F81A4FC7BD1480D57336C66DA34.wsnAw8kcdt7IPYLO0V48gA%3a140&sot=cite&sdt=a&sl=0&origin=recordpage&editSaveSearch=&txGid=7CF49F81A4FC7BD1480D57336C66DA34.wsnAw8kcdt7IPYLO0V48gA%3a14> – up from 676 when I last looked on 22/03/2017!).

I’ve also started looking at altmetric scores for data sets (see https://blog.library.leeds.ac.uk/blog/roadmap/post/509) sourcing dois from IRUSdata to run against the altmetric api. Haven’t got very far yet but if you input some dois into the Lancaster tab on the Google sheet below (currently with just the dryad doi above) and drag the formula in column B it should generate scores for you (if there are any!)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H9tpR_4qvNK0m5-_3RDF-O4ZRCy9LRecWQquqQPMYXA/edit?usp=sharing

Instructions how this works at http://ukcorr.org/2015/06/12/ranking-altmetrics-diy/

N.B. If you have records with a score, in order to generate the donut you can to use the code here https://api.altmetric.com/embeds.html

* This is the altmetric (twitter) page for the Dryad dataset above - https://www.altmetric.com/details/839739/twitter