CALL FOR PARTICIPATION – DIS2017 WORKSHOP
Data-enabled Design - Continuous Situated Explorations of Rich Interactions

DIS2017 Workshop
Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th of June
Edinburgh, Scotland
www.data-enabled-design.com<http://www.data-enabled-design.com/>
http://dis2017.org/workshop-program

Workshop Summary
This two-day workshop explores how a data-enabled design approach can facilitate continuous remote design interventions.

In this hands-on workshop, we invite you to iteratively design and prototype a rich interactive artifact for catching new experiences. By putting the prototypes in the context of use and equipping these with sensors, contextual, behavioral and experiential data of users interacting with the prototype are captured and displayed via a data-canvas. Building on earlier case studies, we investigate how reflections on this data will further inform the design process of rich interactions.

We will merge low-fi prototyping tools and techniques with data-enabled design techniques to actively probe and understand changed experiences. Through two design iterations, we aim to get you acquainted with low threshold interaction prototyping toolkits that help to collect remotely insights and probe rich interactions in the field.

Participation
When you are looking for a workshop that teaches you new approaches and accompanying skills to use data as creative material, this workshop is the one for you. You will be cutting cardboard, coding, gluing, soldering, interviewing participants and analysing data, with dedicated moments of reflection and discussion in between.

Are you interested to join this workshop?
We aim for a balance of expertise from the fields of interaction design, computer science, HCI and user experience research but is open for other disciplines to join too. While this workshop does not require specific prior knowledge and skills, it would be helpful when you have fluency in either designerly low-fi prototyping skills, digital/data skills and/or ethnographic/remote research skills. However, feel free to subscribe when your skillset brings added value to the workshop in another way.

Subscribe!
Please provide us with a brief statement (about 200 words accompanied with pictures) where you position yourself in the above mentioned skillsets, preferably with (a) project example(s); we do not require a positioning paper. We will use these statements to compose a diverse participants group with a mix of expertise and backgrounds. After notification of acceptance, you are asked to subscribe for the workshop via the DIS website (general registration procedure). Drop us your brief statement here<mailto:[log in to unmask]:%20Data-enabled%20Design>.

Important Dates
May, 5: Deadline for sending your brief statement.
May, 7: Notification of workshop attendance.
May, 8: Early bird registration closes.
June 10 & 11: Workshop @ DIS2017

Organizers
Janne van Kollenburg - Philips Design & Eindhoven University of Technology
Sander Bogers – Eindhoven University of Technology
Joep Frens – Eindhoven University of Technology
Idowu Ayoola – Eindhoven University of Technology & Omni Design
Caroline Hummels – Eindhoven University of Technology

More information available at: www.data-enabled-design.com<http://www.data-enabled-design.com/>
For any questions, please contact: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>