May be helpful: H.M. Carey, Courting Disaster: Astrology at the English Court and University in the Later Middle Ages (1992).

On 27 April 2017 at 12:27, Richard Legault <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am trying to confirm or refute whether any medieval writers ever considered the idea of astrological or zodiacal ages (i.e. as in Age of Pisces or Age of Aquarius) as a tool for orderly tracking or designation of historical periods. The timing of such Ages is driven by the phenomenon of precession well known to philosophers, astronomers and astrologers in classical and medieval times. Origen for instance uses the idea of precession to argue against the predictive or divinatory use of astrology (Philocalia, XXIII).

I am finding that the idea of Zodiacal Ages is an anachronistic projection by modern writers into the past. Nicholas Campion, for instance, writes:Simply, there are no extant classical or medieval astrological texts which attribute any astrological or historical significance to precession.”  While this may be so for astrological texts, on which Campion is an expert, I am curious to know if anyone on the list knows of any theological, historical or philosophical texts of the late classical or medieval periods that might show otherwise.

Richard J Legault
********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask]uk To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: medieval-religion-request@jiscmail.ac.uk For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion

--
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014  |  Australia