Also worth consulting:

A Sip from the "Well of Grace": Medieval Texts from the Apostolic Penitentiary (Studies in Medieval and Early Modern Canon Law) Cathholic University of America Press, 2009 by Kirsi Salonen  (Editor), Ludwig Schmugge (Editor

Tom Izbicki

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Gordon Plumb <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 2:43:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] papal tribunals

Laura

A good place to start in the 3-volume Canterbury & York Society publication: "Supplications from England & Wales in the Registers of the Apostolic Penitentiary, 1410-1503",
edited by Peter D Clarks & Patrick Zutshi (2012 onwards, published by Boydell for the C & Y.Soc.).  This deals with exactly the sort of
issues you raise and the introduction in volume I sets out the sorts o cases appealed to the Penitentiary and its methods of working, documentation etc.

Gordon Plumb