Yes, the 'Gates of Paradise' story is a pun- the space between the Cathedral and the Baptistery was called the 'paradiso'.  Andrea Pisano's doors with the life of John the Baptist were originally on the axis between Cathedral and Baptistry (and so would have been the Paradise doors), but they were replaced by Ghiberti's second doors (originally commissioned for the north entrance of the Baptistery).

Re the 'fiery whirlwinds' on the dress, I may not have made myself clear.  My point was that they were indeed meant to be suns and planets, but the fact that they were later described as 'fiery whirlwinds' suggests that there wasn't an established iconography for whirlwinds.  Elijah, as far as I know, is usually just shown with chariot but sans whirlwind.

all best

Laura

Dr. Laura Jacobus
Senior Lecturer in History of Art