Laura,

*Canonization *is one specialized type of case that came to be reserved
during medieval times to the exclusive judgement of the Holy See. A recent
review of the full history of the evolution of this process is provided in
by Jason Aaron Gray in *The Evolution of the Promoter of the Faith in
Causes of Beatification and Canonization: a Study of the Law of 1917 and
1983, a *Doctoral Thesis submitted to the Pontifica Univesita Lateranense,
2015.

The office of *Promoter of the Faith* is what we all jokingly call the *Devil's
Advocate*. A fascinating read.

See the PDF File at URL: http://www.jgray.org/docs/Promotor_Fidei_lulu.pdf

Cheers,

Richard J Legault