The Centre for Research in Digital Storymaking will host two guest lectures in May 2017. Please find further info below. Both events are free, but please register interest here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-centre-for-research-in-digital-storymaking-spring-speakers-series-2017-tickets-33773796334

Thursday 4 May 2017

Time: 4-6 pm

Place: Borough Road Gallery, London South Bank University, 103 Borough Road, London SE1

Biopolitics of Self-Tracking

Speaker: Dr. Btihaj Ajana (Kings)

Abstract: Practices of self-tracking and self-measurement are currently on the rise. In recent years, we have witnessed an abundance of techniques and devices that enable routine forms of digital self-tracking and monitoring, making it possible for everyday users to generate, record and analyse various types of personal statistical data. Encouraged by movements such as the Quantified Self, a growing number of people across the globe are embracing this practice of self-monitoring and measurement. As life itself is increasingly becoming “datafied”, we are becoming ever more reliant on technologies of tracking and quantification to manage and evaluate various spheres of our lives including work, leisure, health and even sex.  In this talk, I discuss aspects of the Quantified Self, drawing on a series of examples and empirical material to examine some of the ontological, biopolitical and ethical issues pertaining to this growing culture of data-driven forms of self-management.

Thursday 11 May 2017

Time: 4-6

Place: Borough Road Gallery, London South Bank University, 103 Borough Road, London SE1

Queering the Border: Digital Storytelling/making with LGBTQ Refugees

Speakers: Dr. Marusya Bociurkiw (Ryerson) & Dr. Wendy McGuire (York)

Abstract: Millions  of LGBTQ people across the globe have been displaced due to anti-gay laws. Their stories of abandonment by family and community, poverty, trauma and displacement, remain largely unnarrativized. We will talk about our work with, respectively, Nigerian gay men and internally displaced Ukrainian LGBT people fleeing draconian anti-gay laws. Showing clips from our work, we will discuss our experience as embedded researchers and participant-observers, as well as the ethical challenges that we have faced. We will also discuss the ways in which trauma narratives do and don’t circulate; the problems and rewards of dissemination, and what we have learned from the process of getting these stories told.