As a dog owner I find that the welcome varies enormously.  You are right – the behaviour of both dog and owner will affect the welcome enormously! Obviously, there are issues of hygiene and preservation to consider – so I don’t mind if she can’t go inside the cafe or on the carpets, or into the rooms full of delicate objects.  And of course, my dog is my responsibility – I expect her to behave and I wouldn’t expect staff to have to take care of her if she did sit outside (it’s my risk).  But as I tend to travel alone with my dog, when I pitch up to a venue with her, I always hope at the least for a shady car park or a sheltered spot where she can sit outside, as I don’t usually expect that she will be allowed inside.  Without the shade or shelter, I wouldn’t leave her outside, especially on a warm day, and we regretfully have to depart.

Over the years, I have found that heritage venues in rural areas are more receptive, the more so if they are independently run.   A few venues stand out in recent years:

My dog was given a very warm welcome on a bright summer day at the marvellous Judges Lodgings in Presteigne.  She couldn’t come in for a tour, but the volunteers in the shop said that, as it was quiet, they would keep an eye on her if she waited outside on the shady portico beside the street.  After having an excellent tour, I came out to find that they had been better than their word – as well as a bowl of water and the remains of some biscuits,  there was a deckchair beside my dog on the step, where a volunteer had been enjoying the warm weather and keeping her company.

At Strutts Bobbin Mill in the Lakes, Ruby Dog was invited into the factory to join the tour.  When I declined (on the basis that she hates the noise of the vacuum cleaner, so I had no faith that she would enjoy the racket of the bobbin lathes), she was offered a shady spot and water bowl outside in a position I could see from the factory windows, which was perfect.  She also had a sneaky dip in the mill-stream afterward which she greatly enjoyed.

Avoncroft Open Air Museum, Ryedale Folk Museum and Cogges Historic Farmhouse are all brilliant – I have visited each with family and friends – dogs are allowed on site on a lead and inside many of the buildings.  Not the farmhouse at Cogges, but there is a little yard round the back that is sheltered.  The volunteers are all very positive and being able to take the dog in makes for a full family day out.

Finally, not a museum, but on our last few visits to Hay on Wye, my dog has been made welcome in an increasing number of the bookshops, and some of the cafes, even on wet days, and at two was treated to better biscuits than me!

Happy Friday to you all!

Jenni