Really enjoying this debate and thanks so much to everyone who has pitched
in. Getting names and modes of address right is a huge part of the battle -
not once would I have dreamed of calling Gertrude Jekyll anything other than
Miss Jekyll in interpretive text!

The issue regarding the descriptors used for suffragettes is particularly
pertinent during the current rash of heritage activities and exhibitions
commemorating their protests and looking forward to next year's centenary of
the Representation of the People Act.  Suffragettes/suffragists were
belittled in every possible way during their protests. The National Portrait
Gallery exhibition 'The Beautiful and the Damned' brought up how photography
and portrait representation of suffragettes was used against them.  It
hardly serves our purposes as historians and interpreters of the women's
social and political history to continue to disrespect them now with the
language we use to present them.

Last September, whilst I was attending the Women's History Network
conference, a lovely museum put out a request for ideas regarding the name
of their planned Suffragette Gallery - tweeted suggestions included
'Protestors in Petticoats', and the next alliterative step, 'Protestors in
pantaloons'... (both were rejected).  I threw the question out into the
lecture hall and much debate ensued about how often suffragettes (and female
protestors in general) have been belittled by both contemporaries and
historians by allusion to their clothing, general appearance and
additionally, their potential sexual orientation, in a way that male
protestors seldom are.

I would actively encourage any of you thinking about putting together a
paper on this to go for it.  And then to submit it to next year's Women's
History Network conference so I can hear it please!

All the best

Jenni