Hi Elisa,

Please see below:

On 13 April 2017 at 17:08, Elisa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I’m setting up a GLM model for my ICA dual regression analysis and I have
> two questions about my model.
>
> To summarize the design, I have 4 groups: 1) Patients age1, 2) Controls
> age1, 3) Patients age2, 4) Controls age2. Patients and controls within an
> age group are matched for age and gender. There is not the same number of
> participants in age 1 and age 2 and there is not the same number of male
> and female in age1. I am interested by the interaction between age 1 and
> age 2 and by the effect in each age group (patients vs controls).
>
> When I run a GLM with only one age group in the model (Patients age1 vs
> controls age1 – contrast 1 -1 and  -1 1) and an unpaired t-test, I have not
> the same results than when I run the GLM with the 4 groups in the same
> model and assess the result of the same exact contrast (Patients age1 vs
> controls age1: contrast 1 -1 and  -1 1). I have read on the forum that when
> you put all groups together in the same model, other groups contribute to
> the final result through error term that is pooled across all groups. I am
> then wondering what is the best solution in my case?

Given that you are interested in the interaction, I would say it is better
to keep all subjects in a single model, not separating into one model for
age1 and another model for age2. ]

> I have a second question regarding demeaning. I have read a lot of
> comments on the forum about this question but I have not found an answer to
> my particular question yet. I would like to put gender in nuisance factor
> in my model. As I have set up 4 different groups, I have defined 4 EV for
> gender and I have demeaned gender within groups (with males =1 and females
> = 0). Is that correct or should I rather demean across groups first and
> separate the 4 EV for gender after?

You'd mean-center across all subjects, but in this case, there is no need
for any mean-centering, because the intercept is already present in the
model (jointly coded among EVs A, B, C, and D).

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Anderson