Dear all,

Below are some useful links and suggestions to support our sector through the current climate.

I was shocked to hear at the Action for ESOL meeting last night about police raids in venues providing ESL in the USA , so I goggled it and found this http://boingboing.net/2017/01/27/immigration-officers-raid-good.html

Without being alarmist, we ought to start being watchful about how the current climate is evolving , this site could be of use in terms of knowing your rights in case of a raid https://network23.org/antiraids/immigration-checks-know-your-rights/raids-on-workplaces-homes/

We were also told of migrants starting to be charged fees by the NHS and of another organisation fighting to protect the NHS http://www.docsnotcops.co.uk

We are all very busy and with beginning of term, election matters , Brexit etc, now more than ever we need to continue being watchful and continue our individual fight to protect our values and people.

Action for ESOL will disseminate teaching resources to support ESOL through the election process (due to come out early next week).

In the meantime encourage your learners to register to vote by 22nd May https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

write to their MP making demands for ESOL (see ESOL manifesto http://actionforesol.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ESOL-manifesto-leaflet-v4b-online.pdf)

MPs can be written to on this site https://www.writetothem.com

NATECLA also has some resources on their website specifically aimed at the promotion of their organisation and set up of an ESOL strategy for England , the templates are PDFs but can easily be emulated in Word  http://www.natecla.org.uk/content/631/ESOL-Strategy-for-England

I work for a local Council and we have been specifically told that we are not allowed to do anything political ! We will be entering purdah on 9th May.  The enclosed resources will support the development of Reading and Writing Skills [😊]

Please continue to let us know of any raids, resources , local hustling, demonstrations and petitions you are aware of,
Share wide and far please, thank you

Very best wishes

Laila El-Metoui

LGBT Education Consultant & Teacher Educator

https://lelmeducation.wordpress.com/

Member of Action for ESOL http://actionforesol.org/

NATECLA institutional member  https://nateclaldn.wordpress.com/

Supporter The Ruth Hayman Trust http://www.ruthhaymantrust.org.uk/

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
To contact the list owner, send an email to