From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Natalya Dell
Sent: 10 April 2017 14:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Oh no not another trip to the eye clinic

Hi Dan,

Great video, the auto-captions mostly worked too.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but I've had too much equivalent deafness experience in audiology where mumbling names from behind visual obstructions and talking to deaf folk while faced away is often standard operating procedure. Before my current excellent audiology I used to take a hearing companion who was always asked to listen for other people's names and would do a good line in sarcastic remarks at stupidity.

I think you locate the source of the problem perfectly, a failure to think about the environment for the likely users of the space and services - social model in a nutshell. Training of staff and careful thought about interior design would go such a long way and are as vital as purely medical aspects of care as we have to live in the real world.

Also something that universities should consider. How much are disabled people's environmental needs being considered? Not just to tick the Part M boxes, but genuine consideration of sensory and communication access.

Natalya