Hi

First thing I would do is throw xia2 at it (from ccp4i2, of course ;-)) and go and have a cup of coffee, and see if the statistics were similar after a Danish pastry.

If the stats are better from xia2 than from HKL, go with the xia2 processing, if they are the same (or worse) I'd look more closely at Mark van Raaij's answer (added below) - my _initial_ assumption in this case would be that the crystals aren't isomorphous and the data can't be merged successfully, but it's hard to say much without more information than you've given us.

Back to your original processing

- What are the stats like for each individual crystal?
- Do any of the different datasets merge together with good statistics?
- Is the crystal system one where you can have alternative indexing (e.g. hexagonal, tetragonal)? - Pointless should be your friend here

Of course, something I  would look at would be the various discussions here and elsewhere on the usefulness of Rmerge as an indicator of data quality (hint: it isn't very good compared to other measures).